How Music Connects with Memories

Last night, I went to a concert in Cincinnati, Ohio. I saw New Found Glory, Bayside, The Movielife, and Ryan Key (solo act; from Yellowcard). During Ryan's set, he played "Ocean Avenue" by Yellowcard. The entire room sang-a-long with such emotion. I swear you could taste it. But, this made me really start reminiscing about moments and people that I associate with that song. I think of living in Myrtle Beach, first and foremost. I remember when that song was released and it would play on the radio constantly. I remember driving down Holmestown Road with the windows down a little, singing it as loud as I could. The next song to play was "Humps" by the Black-Eyed Peas. I think of the childhood crush that I associated this song with at the time. Yellowcard, overall, makes me think of Kelly McKinney and the summer days & nights we would spend together, blasting Yellowcard loud in the VW bug. It's insane how many associates people can make from music.

There's so many albums, artists, and songs that I associate with a time in my life or a person I know or a feeling I had. 

"The Upsides" (album) by The Wonder Years
I think of the person who first showed me The Wonder Years. I think of all the times we sang it together, even if I sucked at singing. I think of that dang "I'm not sad anymore" hoodie that (not only one but) two boyfriends owned. I always stole those hoodies. I remember seeing them and getting hit in the jaw so hard that I swear that's what started my TMJ. I think about seeing them at the Big Sandy in Huntington, West Virginia in 2012. That show was so much fun. I stage-dived and I felt so carefree. "I'm not sad anymore, I'm just tired of this place."

"Burning at Both Ends" (album) by Set Your Goals
This album reminds me heavily of 2011. This album came into my life at a weird time. Finally over my ex. Finally moving onto the next phase of my life. This album played on repeat during my next relationship and after it unexpectedly ended. It has so many jams that uplift my mood, even if it does remind me of that boyfriend. 

"Honey, I'm Home" by Shania Twain 
This song always makes me think of my mom. Growing up, we listened to a lot of country music, mostly 90's and early 2000's. Really though, we listed to a lot of Shania Twain. "Honey I'm Home" reminds me of the days of the single parent. Mom and I moved to South Carolina in December of 1998. As a single parent, she worked her butt off. She would work every day, sick or exhausted. She seemed to always come home from work like clockwork. This song always makes me think of that, even though it's definitely about a significant other relationship/work sucks I know. 

"Heads Carolina, Tails California" by Jo Dee Messina
I told you country music was a big part of my youth. Here's another. If you don't know me, I'm originally from California. I lived there until I was 6, then we moved to South Carolina. We lived there until I was 14 (2006). I've lived in West Virginia since. A large part of my soul still calls those other two states home. Though really, all three are my home in their own way. "Heads Carolina, Tails California" signifies where I came from and also reminds me so much of my mom. This was a definite car jam for us. Some days, I want to pick up a coin and go back to California or South Carolina. This song meant so much to me that I have "Heads Carolina" and "Tails California" tattooed on my feet. 

"Rumours" (album) by Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac's Rumour album is complete perfection and it remains to be the only cassette tape I still own (though I have no way to play it). This album reminds me of my sister, Jessica. She's 8 years older than me and, though we didn't spend much time together growing up, she did share Fleetwood Mac with me. And I'll forever think of her when I hear "The Chain". Also, highly recommend you laying on a bed with your eyes closed listening to this album from start to finish. Just listen. 


And those are just to name a few. Music triggers feelings, memories, and more. When you hear that one song, it can make you cry or laugh or smirk. When you sing that chorus, you immediately text a friend when it's over to see how they're doing. When you listen to a song in a certain place, it may have special meaning for you. Music is powerful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2018 Television Cancellations and Renewals

2018

Life Update: 5/7/2018