October 2017 Television Renewals & Cancellations
Here we are again. About a month or two into the Fall premiere schedule, let's cross some fingers that we don't lose some lovely shows. Unfortunately, television networks care about rating and making money. I still wish all cancelled television shows had at least like an hour finale or a talk show-style episode with the writers to talk about what would have happened. I need closure! Anyways, we are now in November. 2017 is almost over! Let's see what we gained and lost in October.
- Major Crimes (TNT) will end with the upcoming 6th season. The series finale airs January 16, 2018
- Odd Mom Out (Bravo)
- Survivor's Remorse (STARZ)
- Being Mary Jane (BET)
- The Night Shift (NBC)
- Fashion Police (E!)
- Chelsea (Netflix)
- Zoo (CBS)
- Playing House (USA)
- House of Cards (Netflix) will end after next year's 6th season. [Update 10/31: Production has been halted. It is unclear if the 6th season will air.]
- The Bold Type (Freeform) - Season 2 and 3
- Raven's Home (Disney) - Season 2
- Ransom (CBS) - Season 2
- Alone Together (Freeform) - Season 2 (Prior to Season 1 premiere in January 2018)
- Salvation (CBS) - Season 2
- Better Things (FX) - Season 3
- Casual (Hulu) - Season 4 (Final Season)
- Star Trek: Discovery (CBS) - Season 2
- Big Mouth (Netflix) - Season 2
- American Vandal (Netflix) - Season 2
- Preacher (AMC) - Season 3
- The Standups (Netflix) - Season 2
* ABC has expanded the current seasons of black-ish, American Housewife, and Grey's Anatomy from 22 to 24 episodes each.
- Zoo - I have a few friends who are in love with this television show. I'm sad to see you go. I've heard you're great. CBS didn't think so, apparently, but there's probably a bunch of people sad that they will no longer have more Zoo in their life. Goodbye, Zoo.
- House of Cards - Prior to this recent revelation about Kevin Spacey, this show was amazing. When you asked someone to recommend television shows, this one was always listed at least once. I've only managed to finish half of season one (I watch a lot a lot of television, it's hard to binge sometimes). It was great from what I saw. It's sad to see this show go, even though there's debate about if it is because of K.S. or not. Regardless, there may not be a season 6 at this point. There needs to be some sort of conclusion and closure for the long-time fans of this show. I wish it could continue sans-Spacey, but it's up to Netflix and the writers of House of Cards. That being said, what K.S. is accused of is atrocious and more humans need to call out their assaulters, abusers, and etc. Bring light to this sometimes forgotten travesty that goes on behind closed doors. Goodbye, House of Cards. So long, Kevin Spacey. Your future career is probably no longer existing.
I have not watched The Bold Type yet. Has anyone? Is it good? They renewed it for two more seasons, though they changed a writer or something I believe. Someone tell me if I should give it the time of day. For all I know, it could be because they've lost a lot of their "cult following" shows in the last year. Really excited that Raven's Home is renewed. It really calls out to my youth at times, but it's something mindless to watch in the background and usually lighthearted (and of course, kid-friendly!). Also, very happy about the Star Trek: Discovery renewal. From what I've seen, it's a masterpiece. As a trekkie, I'll forever be happy about any new ST revivals or television shows. The movies are questionable in quality sometimes, but the television series... always something that'll have a place in my heart.
In the end, I don't think we lost a lot of quality television. Some really awesome television shows are being renewed. In November, December, and January, we will probably receive some more news about more popular shows and their fates. Fingers crossed we keep the good ones and get rid of only the bad!