Death

I have always been a person who is amazed by death. When someone dies, I like to read the obituaries because cause of death has always been something that interests me. I guess this would explain why I got a degree in criminal justice and enjoy talking about statistics, especially about violence and death. 

When a person dies, I want to know how they died. I find it interesting that each person has their own narrative. They have their own story. This is the end of their story, unless you include their legacy as their epilogue. 

Today, I found out an old professor of mine had died. I really loved biological science courses in my undergraduate years. This professor was one of the faculty for BSC. Our class sizes were large so I never spent time with him one-on-one, but in the class, I knew he loved what he did because of how he talked about it. He had a wife and children. He was taken tragically. I spent about three hours just researching how he lived and how he died. I cried for a person I did not know well. I cried for his family. I cried for the loss of a happy soul. I cried for the future and the things he could have accomplished, now that we lack this human being. 

I read his obituary. There was a beautiful line that really stuck out to me.
"To remember ____, make time to make memories with your friends and family, because that's where life happens."

My thoughts have been on this subject lately: making the most out of life. This line spoke to me in such a profound way that I had to share it. Please, make the most out of your life. 

It is easy to focus on the end and death. My anxiety often wants to focus on every body change and think it is dying because of it. I have to often tell myself otherwise. 

In this instance, though, I want you to focus on death. If you died right now this very instant, would you have done all that you wanted to? Did you say all that you needed to? Would you have a good story to tell? Would you have an epilogue? A legacy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2018 Television Cancellations and Renewals

2018

Life Update: 5/7/2018