#MeToo

Sexual assault is a sexual act in which a person is coerced or physically forced to engage against their will, or non-consensual sexual touching of a person. Sexual assault is a form of sexual violence, and it includes rape (such as forced vaginal, anal or oral penetration or drug facilitated sexual assault), groping, child sexual abuse, or the torture of the person in a sexual manner.

The U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey states that on average there are 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault and rape each year. Girls ages 16–19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault. 88.7% of rape victims are women, the other 11.3% being men.

People who are sexually assault are:

  • 3 times more likely to suffer from depression
  • 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder
  • 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
  • 26 times more likely to abuse drugs
  • 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide
The #metoo hashtag and post has been overwhelming on my social media timelines. So many people that I know are victims of sexual assault. So many people walk around with that weight on their shoulders. It's heartbreaking. Unfortunately, I posted #metoo as well because I've been repeatedly victimized by subhumans who think it's okay to sexually assault another person.

  • At age 11 and 12, I was molested by my stepfather regularly because I was told if I didn't  comply he would kill my mother and I. #metoo
  • At age 15, I was raped by my boyfriend at the time. I had been drinking and fell asleep. I woke up to him having sex with me. #metoo
  • Throughout my life, I had my breasts groped and butt grabbed more than I can count. Trust me, I didn't want them to. #metoo
This and so many other situations happen to women and men every day. Why do they think this is okay? Why don't we speak up about it? Because people make excuses for the predators. Because people down the victims. Why don't victims ask for help or talk about their experiences? Because they are constantly talked down about it and disregarded. It is sickening! This needs to stop. Next time someone you know or love is sexually assault, please do not disregard them. Give them love and shame the predator. Do not shame the victim! Repeat victim-blaming creates a stigma and that stigma creates fear in other victims!

#metoo
#metoo
#metoo

Popular posts from this blog

Locked in a Room with Smoke for 13 Years

i've loved you for five years

Your Loss.