Fifty Shades of Grey: Why I re-read this series

Fifty Shades of Grey was available for purchase as of May 2011. After that, there was Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed, and (most recently) Grey. Each of these books have been criticized harshly due to its (at times) vapid story-telling, erotic scenes, and incorrectly portraying a BDSM relationship.

Fifty Shades of Grey is about a normal, every-day but beautiful woman named Anastasia Steele. One day, she interviews Christian Grey, a handsome and rich CEO. That is when her world changes. Drawn to each other, they continue their journey together, discovering one another in more ways than one. Christian is challenged by his past and his fast-growing feelings for Ana. Ana is confused by her new found sexuality as well as entranced by her first and only boyfriend. They share a lot of firsts together. Their story continues through Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed as they both fight against conflicts and their past to grow together for a better future. Grey is Fifty Shades of Grey retold from the perspective of Christian Grey.

Like I previously said, this series received a lot of criticism. There is a stigma about this series due to its erotic nature. For example, Twilight received a similar stigma that it was creepy and only lonely moms and teenagers would read it. Funny enough, Fifty Shades of Grey started as a Twilight fan-fiction before it grew into its own entity.

So why did I re-read this series? (Note: I've read it all the way through probably 2 or 3 times)
Because I wanted to! Because I find romance and young adult novels appealing! It doesn't matter why I read it! It's a book and I can read whatever I damn please. I do not find it sexually arousing (as I skip over the sexual scenes for the most part - they make me uncomfortable). I enjoy it. And I enjoy reading Grey afterward to compare the perspectives of the two characters.

Never let anyone dictate what you do or what you read. Reading is good for you, no matter what you're reading. You could read Charles Dickens or The Turner Diaries. It's your preference. It's your life. Read what you want. Stop stigmatizing everything. Stop criticizing others for their life choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2018 Television Cancellations and Renewals

2018

Ugly Sweater Secret Santa Christmas Party 2017