May 2017 Television Cancellations & Renewals!

Let's see what heartbreak and happiness we have this past month. What shows are returning and which shows are not? Ours heart may break a little...

Cancellations

  • You the Jury (Fox) 
  • Pitch (Fox)
  • Emerald City (NBC)
  • Frequency (CW)
  • No Tomorrow (CW)
  • Rosewood (Fox)
  • Sleepy Hollow (Fox) 
  • Timeless (NBC) .... JUST KIDDING! 
  • Last Man Standing (ABC)
  • APB (Fox)
  • Making History (Fox)
  • Son of Zorn (Fox)
  • American Crime (ABC)
  • The Catch (ABC)
  • Dr. Ken (ABC)
  • Imaginary Mary (ABC)
  • The Real O'Neals (ABC)
  • Secrets and Lies (ABC)
  • Powerless (NBC)
  • Notorious (ABC)
  • 2 Broke Girls (CBS)
  • Baby Daddy (Freeform)
  • Scream Queens (Fox)
  • The Odd Couple (CBS)
  • East Los High (Hulu)
  • Chicago Justice (NBC)
  • The Get Down (Netflix)
Renewals

  • Freakish (Hulu) - Season 2
  • The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) - Season 2
  • 13 Reasons Why (Netflix) - Season 2
  • American Idol (Revived to ABC) 
  • Taken (NBC) - Season 2
  • Scandal (ABC) - Season 7 (Final Season)
  • Blindspot (NBC) - Season 3
  • Timeless (NBC) - Season 2
  • Modern Family (ABC) - Season 9 and 10
  • iZombie (CW) 
  • The Originals (CW) 
  • Last Man on Earth (Fox) - Season 4
  • Gotham (Fox) - Season 4
  • The Blacklist (NBC) - Season 5
  • The Shannara Chronicles (now Spike) - Season 2
  • The Goldbergs (ABC) - Season 5 and 6
  • Great News (NBC) - Season 2
  • American Housewife (ABC) - Season 2
  • Designated Survivor (ABC) - Season 2 
  • Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC) 
  • Once Upon a Time (ABC) - Season 7 (Rumored last season)
  • The Bachelor (ABC) - Season 22
  • Dancing With the Stars (ABC)
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox) - Season 5
  • Speechless (ABC) - Season 2
  • Fresh Off the Boat (ABC) 
  • The Exorcist (Fox) - Season 2
  • Law & Order: SVU (NBC) - Season 19
  • Elementary (CBS)
  • The Amazing Race (CBS)
  • New Girl (Fox) - Season 7 (Final Season)
  • Quantico (ABC) - Season 3
  • Conan (TBS) - Renewed through the year 2022
  • Arrested Development (Netflix) - Season 5
  • Animals (HBO) - Season 3
  • Trial & Error (NBC) - Season 2
  • Veep (HBO)
Honorable Mentions
  • Emerald City (NBC) - Emerald City... though you lasted only one short season, you were such a fun spin on something I hate. I do not like the Wizard of Oz. This seriously had so much promise. I'm sad that I'll never get to see what you had in store. So goodbye, Emerald City. You were the road we were all looking for.
  • Frequency (CW) - I am seriously pissed that this was cancelled. Seriously, CW. I am just furious. This show was based off of the movie, Frequency. The story was a little bit slow at times... but the twists and turns were beautiful. I was so looking forward to the second season. Ruuuuude! I will not say goodbye to Frequency because it deserves more than that. 
  • No Tomorrow (CW) - You were quirky. You had your moments. In all honesty, you sucked. I watched you as something to watch in my spare time. You were about a man who believed the end of the world was legitimately coming and soon and the quirky, happy girl who loved him. I knew you would be cancelled... and now you're really see no tomorrow.
  • Last Man Standing (ABC) - There's so much anger over this cancellation. I don't blame them. This show was funny, even for someone who identifies as a liberal/democrat. Tim Allen killed it as long as the rest of the cast (except Ryan, obviously). This show was one of the last good sitcoms on television. Of course, it gets cancelled. Six seasons in! And the sad part is that it had the rating, even though ratings in general are declining as television shows keep getting shittier and most people binge watch nowadays on streaming apps. So Last Man Standing, just know... you're not the last one. We are all standing with you... to be renewed by another network.
  • APB (Fox) - I was excited for this show. It's about a businessman who buys a district of Chicago's police force. He creates new technology for them and helps them solve crimes. It was decent. Slow at times... but decent. I loved it because good ol' Andy Botwin (Weeds reference) played the businessman. And he was the same ol' ridiculous and sarcastic character that he plays so well. So I'm bummed to say the least. No catchy final line. Just bummed.
  • The Catch (ABC) - This is another one of those shows that I watch with my mother. It's really hard to find things she will watch with me nowadays. The Catch was good. It was about a private investigator who was engaged to a con man... stuff happens yada yada... double agent yada yada... Margot... yada yada. It's good. It was a perfect fit for #TGIT. The last episode of this past season was a perfect ending even though it wasn't renewed. Though, I would kill for some answers. I'm sad it was cancelled, but I know ABC is having a huge ratings problem so I was not surprised. Goodbye, The Catch, you were a catch.
  • The Real O'Neals (ABC) - The Real O'Neals is another one of those sitcom shows that I mentioned earlier that are hard to come-by nowadays and did not deserve cancellation. As someone who comes from an Italian-American family who are Catholic, this show was hilarious (even though they were Irish-American). I thought this show was so clever and refreshing. I looked forward to every single episode. The episode with the opening with Jimmy Kimmel in it is probably the hardest I've laughed in a hot minute. I wish they would reverse this decision so bad. Goodbye, Real O'Neals, it's been real.
  • Secrets and Lies (ABC) - This show is getting an honorable mention because I watched the last season (but not the first with Ryan Philippe) and I was impressed. I was hoping the next season was as good as this one. And my mom loved this one too. Of course, it dies. Like everything else on television we love. So goodbye, Secrets and Lies, I'm not gonna' lie... I was looking forward to another season of you.
  • Powerless (NBC) - Powerless was such a refreshing twist on the superhero-fad that is going rampant on television right now (and movies, can't forget movies). Vanessa Hudgens starred as the department boss of Gotham Industries tech section. It showed the human side of superhero shows. What humans have to deal with in the world of heroes. It was boring at times and I am definitely not surprised it was cancelled, but I'm sad because it was the start of something new (ha) with Vanessa H. I feel powerless about this cancellation decision, but farewell, Powerless.
  • Notorious (ABC) - Just bye. Good show. Great premise. Horribly executed.
  • Baby Daddy (Freeform) - I have watched this show since about season 2. I loved it. I may have a crush on the lead actor who played Ben from his stint on Disney Channel. It was about an irresponsible boy who opens his door one day to find a baby girl on his doorstep. He had to grow up fast with the ones he loved supporting him and the show followed that journey. It was a comedy. And it was really good. I was surprised that Freeform cancelled this show, especially considering Young & Hungry is annoyingly the same storyline over and over. The season finale became the series finale and I think it deserved another hour to finish it up if anything. If you look at Freeform's facebook, there are so many people commenting over the loss of this show. I'm hoping it gets renewed even if it is for a one-hour finale. It deserved better than that. So once again, I will not say goodbye. I'm holding out.
  • Scream Queens (Fox) - I am not entirely surprised or heartbroken. This show is about a group of sorority girls who continuously have to deal with serial killers trying to kill them. The first season was decent. Emma Roberts, Nick Jonas, Ariana Grande, and a few other big names played in Season 1. I liked it mostly because it was something that my mother and I watched together. So... goodbye, Scream Queens. You were a scream. Or a hoot?



    So, so many things were cancelled and renewed this month. Were your favorites renewed? I'm happy that 13 Reasons Why, Scandal, Timeless, iZombie, Gotham, American Housewife, Designated Survivor, Once Upon a Time, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Speechless, New Girl, Quantico, and Veep were renewed. I watch all of those and then some. I hope June does better than May. May was a heartbreaker. See you next month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 2018 Television Cancellations and Renewals

2018

Ugly Sweater Secret Santa Christmas Party 2017